INTRODUCING the Stairwell Gallery! a new space at Burgmann Forde and Valley campuses, dedicated to art, design and photography at Burgmann.
The Stairwell Gallery was set up to promote the wellbeing model of the school, which has the Christian Life at its centre.
The Stairwell Gallery will be:
- A gallery dedicated to making the Christian Life visible through photography, art and design.
- A gallery dedicated to the positive use of photography, art and design as is fitting in a Positive Education school.
- A gallery suitable for all ages.
- A gallery that inspires Burgmann virtues, such as: Trust, Integrity, Courage, Curiosty, Wisdom and Grace
In addition, the Stairwell Gallery will be a space for:
- contemplation and reflection which inspires action and community
- displaying high quality student or staff artwork
- embedding the Burgmann Christian Life/well-being model through art and design
Our Inaugural Exhibit is based on an Easter theme. Students in the Senior School were invited to submit an original photograph or design of their making, which represented an aspect of the Easter Story from the Bible.
Shown below is a photograph submission and rationale by year 12 student, Laura. In it Laura reflects on the meaning of Jesus’ resurrection at Easter.
I hope that parents will find time to view the students’ works in the Stairwell Gallery and see how wellbeing and the Christian Life is being made visible in our school.
The blue lantern is a symbol of light. Even though it is not lit and it is damp from the rain, it shows us that because Jesus was resurrected and died for our sins, he can still guide us through the rainiest of days and still show us the light. The lantern could also represent the angel helping the women who were where Jesus laid.
The water droplet on the branch shows the viewer that it has been raining. Rain is a symbol of renewal as it washes away dirt and grime. Through Jesus’ resurrection we receive forgiveness of sins and the washing away of past wrongs.
As the photograph was shot on an overcast day and the rain softens the tone of the photograph, it gives it an overall calming feel. This symbolises the angel that announced Jesus’ resurrection, as it was a calming spirit to the women when they were frightened.
Easter is a perfect time for reflection and renewal to look at different areas of your life, and to seek renewal through what Jesus did for us.
Head of Ministry